Teacher: Ronda Baker
Age of Students: 13 and up
Class Fee: 1-9 students:$30; 10-12 students: $25
Length: 2 Semesters
Class Capacity: 12
A mature attitude is required for this class. Sharp knives and other fragile kitchen appliances will be handled in this class, so they must be treated like tools, NOT TOYS!!
Back by popular demand! In this class we will not only be cooking, but the course will also revolve around the science behind cooking. We will fix fun recipes from the best selling, and most honored cookbook by the Rombaru/Becker families, as well as some new recipes. Students will also discover the many uses of common and uncommon kitchen tools. Think of this course as a cooking, science, and math class rolled into one!
Section reading from the book or the iOS app. The instructor might occasionally ask the student to bring a kitchen gadget or other items from home, depending on availability. Students who opted to take the test will be handed one every fourth week to take home and complete. Student will also be required to bake and bring cookies from home (recipe of choice) for MC2’s annual Open House that is scheduled in April.
- The Joy of Cooking, 75th Anniversary Edition (2006) OR iOS users can download The Joy of Cooking from the App Store. It currently costs $7.99 and requires iOS 7.0 or better, with 207mb of space.
- Three ring binder with 3 dividers.
- Pen and pencil.
- Hair clip/tie to hold back long hair.
- Occasional items or kitchen gadgets from home (when requested by instructor).
- Hand towel
- Post-it-notes (if you do not like to write in your book).
Older editions of JOC are not usable for this class. Each edition slightly changes many of the recipes to adjust to changing times, tools, and techniques.